Australian Partner Visas (Subclass 820/801, 309/100 and 300)

Home - Australian Partner Visas (Subclass 820/801, 309/100 and 300)

The Australian partner Visa is for individuals who wish to live in Australia with their partner who is already living in Australia and is a permanent resident or citizen of Australia or an eligible citizen of New Zealand. The Partner Visa can be slightly different for each applicant depending on the nature of relationship with the partner (sponsor), and the applicant’s current location.

Benefits of an Australia Partner Visa

  • Live in Australia with your partner while your permanent Visa is being processed
  • Live permanently with your partner after you get the Permanent Visa
  • Work and study in top-ranked Australian institutions before getting your Permanent visa
  • Continue with your job and education after you get your Permanent Visa
  • Dependent children and children with disabilities can accompany you to Australia
  • Access Australia’s universal health care services in world-class hospital facilities
  • Visit other countries and return to Australia as many times as you wish

You can get the same benefits mentioned above from all these different Visa subclasses.

Types of Australian Partner Visa

There are 3 types of Austrlian partner visas. The right visa for you will depend on whether you are living inside or outside of Australia and whether you have already married or intend to marry soon. Your partner or prospective partner must be your sponsor for these visas.


Subclass 820/801: Australian Partner Visa (Onshore)

If you are staying inside Australia, you can apply for this Visa to live with your partner in Australia, first temporarily with a Subclass 820 visa, and then permanently within 2 years with the Subclass 801 visa. You may be married to your partner or unmarried but in a de facto relationship.

Subclass 309/100: Australian Partner Visa (Offshore)

This Visa pathway is for you if you are living outside of Australia. It allows you to come to Australia and live with your spouse or de facto partner in Australia, temporarily first on a Subclass 309 visa, and then permanently after 2 years with a Subclass 100 visa.

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

You may apply for this visa if you are living outside of Australia and intend on moving into Australia to marry and live with an Australian citizen in the near future who may already be your fiance and is therefore your prospective spouse. You will be granted this visa within 9 to 15 months during which you are required to marry your prospective spouse.

Contact Bridging West to find out which Partner Visa is appropriate for you.

Eligibility requirements for the main applicant

Partner Visa Onshore & Offshore (Subclass 820/801 and 309/100)

If you are unmarried and in a de facto relationship:

  • Your partner must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, or an eligible citizen of New Zealand
  • Relationship with your partner must be genuine and verifiable

If you are already married to a permanent resident or a citizen of Australia, or an eligible citizen of New Zealand:

  • You must not intentionally maintain permanent separation from your spouse
  • Marriage with your spouse must be lawful under the Australian legal system.

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

If you are unmarried, not in a de facto relationship, and you live outside of Australia:

In such a case if you still have a true intention to marry an Australian citizen/PR or an eligible citizen of New Zealand, you may apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa.

Eligibility requirements:

  • You must be sponsored for a Prospective Marriage Visa by your prospective spouse.
  • You must be staying outside of Australia during the application.
  • You next must be willing to apply for the Partner Visa (subclass 820) after going to Australia.

The Partner Visa (820/801) will cost less if you marry your prospective partner and then apply for the Partner visa (Subclass 820) before the expiry of your Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300).

Contact us to know how you may apply for a Prospective Marriage Visa and for a Partner Visa afterwards at a low cost so that you are not misguided into paying more.

Other requirements common for all partner visa applicants

  • You must pass the necessary health clearance exams
  • You must have health insurance
  • You must be of good character (Character Certificate)

Sponsor eligibility requirements

The sponsorship requirements for subclass 820 and 309 are similar but that of the subclass 309 are a bit different. The requirements are mentioned below:

Partner Visas (subclasses 820 and 309)

  • The sponsor must be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or an eligible citizen of New Zealand.
  • Your sponsor must be married to you or in a de facto relationship with you.
  • The sponsor’s relationship with you must be genuine and verifiable with proof.
  • If your partner had previously been married or was in a de facto relationship and was sponsored by their previous partner for a Partner Visa:
    • Your partner can still sponsor you for your Partner Visa but it must be after 5 years from the date of their own Partner Visa was granted.
    • They must not have any partner other than yourself at the time they apply to be your sponsor.

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

  • The sponsor must have met you in person before application.
  • You sponsor intends on marrying you within 9 months after Visa grant.
  • Your sponsor has genuine desire for living with you after marriage.

Cost of various Australian partner visas

The cost of different Australian partner visas are given below:

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300):

The cost is AUD 8,085. Additional fees may apply for including family members.

Partner Visa (Subclass 820/100):

The cost is AUD 8,085. However, there are exceptions, which are described below.


  • For Prospective Marriage Visa holders: AUD 1,310
  • If Prospective Marriage Visa expires: AUD 1,660
  • For Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445) holders: NO COST

Contact us so we can guide you with the right steps so you do not have to overpay.

Partner Visa (Subclass 309 / 100):

The cost is AUD 8,085. This includes both provisional and permanent visas. Additional fees may apply for including family members, except if your children hold Dependent Child Visas (Subclass 445).

Processing times of Australian partner/spouse visas

Visa type Processing time Note
Partner visa (provisional) subclass 309 10-29 months --
Partner visa (permanent) subclass 100 08-16 months Sometimes processed immediately after the provisional 309 visa grant.
Partner Visa (temporary) subclass 820 6-21 months --
Partner Visa (permanent) subclass 801 7-16 months Sometimes processed immediately after the temporary visa 820 grant.
Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) 8-26 months --

Steps to Apply for the Australian Partner Visa 

Step 1: Consultation and Eligibility Check

Consult an experienced migration agent who will assess your eligibility based on your current situation and identify the appropriate partner visa subclass that is suitable for you.

Step 2: Proper Documentation

Your migration agent will make sure that you have all the relevant documents prepared. These include documents proving your identity, your relationship with your partner, documents of dependent children (if any), health clearance and character certificates etc.

 Step 3: Visa Lodgement

Your migration agent will submit your relevant documents and associated fees and charges, abiding by the policies of the Department of Home Affairs (DHA).

Step 4: Temporary Visa Approval

The Australian Government will grant you the temporary visa initially. During this time, it is very important that you follow the rules about whether you should be inside or outside Australia while your visa is being processed for granting. Seek the right information from your trusted migration agent so that you do not have to get your visa cancelled.

Step 5: Permanent Visa Approval

Your Partner Visa is made permanent after your migration agent submits some further relevant documents 2 years after your temporary or provisional visa grant.


Do you think you are eligible for any of these visas? You can assess your eligibility for free with us. We, team Bridging West have been providing consultancy on and processing all types of Australian Partner visas for over 17 years with high level of professionalism. Contact us today.

Any Questions? Contact Us.